Assign options to products
Before your options display on your store, you'll need to assign them to products.
Here, we'll explain a few different ways to assign options to products, so you can decide what suits your needs best. Follow the steps or check out the video below to get started.
The first option you can use to assign options to products is the Quick Start feature.
From here you can choose to assign options to All Products, Selected Products, and Products of a Specific Type.
- The All Products selection allows you to assign an option to all of your products.
- The Selected Products selection allows you to select specific products to assign options to.
- The Products of a Specific Type selections allows you to assign options to all products of a specific type.
1. Once you have created an Option Set, you'll see a section in light-blue where you can specify which of your product pages that you would like the option to appear for.
2. The drop down menu within the light-blue box will give you the option to choose from different identifiers, such as Tag, Vendor, Type, URL, Handle, and All Products.
- The Tag identifier is useful when you'd like to assign your options to products that have a certain tag set in Shopify. Click here to learn how to add tags to your products.
- The Vendor identifier is useful when you'd like to assign your options to all products within a certain vendor.
- The Type identifier is useful if there is a specific type of product you'd like to assign your options to.
- The URL identifier is useful when there is only one product you'd like to assign your options to.
- The Handle identifier is useful when you'd like a shortened version of the URL. For example, my product's URL is https://noahsstore-2.myshopify.com/products/shirt, which means the handle is shirt.
- The All Products identifier is useful when you’d like to assign an option set to all of your products.
3. Once you've selected an identifier, enter the text that matches the products you are looking for. You will see some examples appear below in yellow. After you select an option from the list, you will see how many product pages that will display these options right below that:
4. You can create additional rules to specify exactly which product pages you would like to assign the option fields for by clicking on And and Or on the right. In the example below, we are assigning option fields only to clothing Tag or shoppad-matt Vendor products that have a Type of hat.
Check out the video below to learn more:
5. Save your changes.
Note: Options may take a few minutes to display on your storefront once you've saved your changes.